That’s all you’ve got to grab your prospect’s attention… (Source: Kissmetrics.com)
And just before you can even say, “Hey, my name is…” (queue Eminem), a majority of traffic is gone, unlikely to return.
Now this is where it gets very tricky, because most real estate website “solutions” will tell you that it’s all about beautiful design, fancy IDX / property search functionality, plus more bells and whistles than you will ever know what to do with.
“If you build the perfect website they will come…”
But you and I know this is hardly the case, when standard lead conversion rates typically max out between 1-3% (Source: Adpushup.com).
And according to Wordstream’s own data, those who are converting leads at 5% are outperforming 75% of other advertisers.
Not to mention that after collecting 100’s of survey responses from agents across the U.S. & Canada, many reported that they’re not even using the technology they currently have!
In other words, so many agents who paid a small fortune for some form of website or blogging software never actually generate any real results, because of the sense of overwhelm it causes, or not knowing what to do with what they have!
Plus, no matter how custom and professional your website becomes, you are simply scraping the tip of the iceberg, and here’s why:
- “Approximately 96% of visitors that come to your website are not ready to buy” (Source: Kissmetrics.com)
- The method that a majority of agents are currently relying on to generate leads will NEVER outperform what I’m about to reveal below.
The Death of Traditional Real Estate Websites???
I read a quote by Will on Inman.com recently, and he shared some really great points. Here’s a quick snippet of his post below:
With 1 million plus realtors out there in the United States, it is safe to say there are also a lot of individual agent websites. However the effectiveness of these real estate websites are rarely seen given the average agent’s budget of a couple hundred dollars a month, if that, to spend on SEO and internet marketing. Compare that to the millions of dollars Zillow, Trulia, and realtor.com (lets call them the big three) spend on SEO and digital advertising. Essentially an agent website is a losing proposition from the beginning as a primary source of online leads.
So there are a handful of things he and I would totally agree on:
- There are millions of real estate agents who own websites.
- Many agents commit to small marketing budgets of $300 or less a month.
- Zillow, Trulia, Realtor.com and other “BIG brothers” are generating a TON of leads with buttloads of money to spend.
- So traditional agent websites ARE at a losing proposition from the beginning…BUT, only if you are trying to play the same game as everyone else (which many are).
Now before we dig in further, let me be 100% clear on my position…
Traditional agent websites ARE dead, but not in the sense of the “doom and gloom,” “sky is falling,” “mobile apps have taken over our business” mindset either.
However, what you do see occurring is a shakeout, as online real estate marketing becomes more mainstream, and a larger percentage of agents are entering the arena.
Sure, if you want to try to go head-to-head with Zillow, Trulia & Realtor.com by playing the “check out my slick IDX feed,” driving people to your homepage, and adding endless menus and content for users to surf through…
Then I wish you the best of luck.
And if you believe that simply having a website with great local based content that showcases your credentials and your extensive knowledge of the market/local area…
Then I wish you the best of luck.
Or, if you wish to spend $1,000’s of dollars paying some outfit to get your website locally ranked and SEO optimized (with absolutely no GUARANTEE that the results you generate will even be there tomorrow)…
With the primary intention being to brand yourself or simply have people surf through endless IDX feeds (that they can easily access on 100’s of other websites, so there is absolutely NO real commitment to you)…
Then I wish you the best of luck.
As online marketing pioneer Bryan Eisenberg has said, “Most websites don’t have a massive traffic problem, however every website in the world has a conversion problem.” (Source: Adpushup.com)
And without having the right lead conversion strategy in place to MAXIMIZE your return on investment, you’re dead in the water.
It’s Time to Start Playing a Different Game
I don’t care how well optimized your website IDX feed is…if you’re not currently driving traffic to niche specific landing pages as your primary front-end strategy you are missing out on a majority of leads.
- We have consistently seen our members in many different markets generating between 15-20% (and sometimes higher) conversion rates on their buyer and seller PipelinePagez (and this doesn’t even include retargeting efforts which can easily boost that number by another 10%).
- Since 96% of people are not ready to buy or sell right away, unless you are capturing their contact information up front BEFORE giving them access to anything, it’s HIGHLY likely they’ll work with another agent when they are.
- Focusing your marketing budget on driving traffic to HIGHLY targeted offers that matches your audience’s interests (such as homes with pools, bank owned properties, new construction) will set you apart and allow you to become the “go to” expert for that subset of the market (something the BIG 3 can NEVER compete with).
- Small micro-commitments are the easiest way to build trust with users, get them taking action, and start building a relationship.
It starts out with a prospect clicking on your ad or post and expressing interest in a specific offer. Next, they submit an opt in form that ONLY requests an email (low barrier to entry), followed by a 2nd step survey that collects more information once they have subscribed.
You then start to consistently deliver their requested resource, along with other market updates and things of interest via email.
Now that some form of commitment has been established, you can send leads specific lists, redirect them to properties or content on your site, and continue to nurture the relationship.
As a result, this prospect will come to know you, trust you, see you as reliable, and be MUCH more likely to work with you once they are ready to buy or sell.
So What Should I Do Next?
Well the answer is not to abandon ship, give up hope, or believe that everything you’ve done up to this point has been a waste…because it’s not.
For example, if you’re currently getting leads from some SEO you did in the past…then great, all the better!
But what I would suggest as your #1 priority is to begin setting aside a monthly budget that you can dedicate to the above strategy, keeping in mind that if you were to leap from just a 5% conversion rate to even 10%, that would be a 100% increase!
By implementing this strategy you will begin to build a MASSIVE list, local (niche specific) authority, and have an asset that will pay back 100 fold into the future.
And of course, if you need some extra inspiration for coming up with the exact types of Facebook posts and offers you should use to begin driving more HYPER TARGETED traffic that will convert into a HIGHER amount of leads and clients for your business today, then simply click the button below: